Awadhi Mutton Korma with Taftaan
Oven time 50-55 min
Awadhi mutton korma is rich royal preparation of aromatic mutton/lamb with spices, nuts, seeds and saffron. Serve this delectable mutton dish with leavened bread taftan to your family and friends on the auspicious occasion of Eid-ul-Adha.
Preparation time: 5 hours
Ingredients For Taftaan
- 300g, white flour
- 3 tbsps, curd
- 2 tbsps, ghee
- 1 tbsp, milk powder
- 7g, instant yeast
- 2 tsps, sugar
- 8 to 10 tbsps, warm milk or water to knead the dough
- 1 tbsp, poppy seeds
- ¼ tsp, salt
Ingredients For Awadhi Mutton Curry
- 500g, mutton on bone
- ¼ cup, fried brown onions
- 150g, yogurt
- 1 tbsp, ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp, coriander powder
- 1 tsp, red chili powder
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp melon seeds
- a pinch of mace powder
- a pinch nutmeg, grated
- pinch of saffron soaked in 1 tbsp of milk
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- 5-6 cashew nuts
- Salt to taste
- water as needed
- 4 tbsps ghee
We'd love your feedback
Method For Taftaan:
01. In a bowl, add white flour, milk powder, salt, yeast and sugar. Mix them well.
02. Now add curd, ghee and warm milk and knead into a soft and elastic dough. If the dough is stiff, you may add a little water or milk. If the dough is too sticky and loose, add few tablespoons of white flour.
03. Grease a large bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough into it. Cover with a cling wrap and keep aside till the dough is double in size. It may take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours.
04. Once the dough is ready, divide the dough into 6 to 7 balls. Now cover and keep it aside for another 15 to 20 minutes.
05. Take one dough and press it with the help of palm into a disc of 6 to 7 inches. Make sure the edges are slightly thicker than the center.
06. Brush the taftaan with ghee and sprinkle poppy seeds over it.
07. Carefully, place the taftaan on a baking tray and bake it in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 15 to 20 minutes.
Method For Awadhi Mutton Curry
01. First, grind together fried onions, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, black peppercorns, poppy seeds, melon seeds, cardamom and cloves to a fine paste.
02. Now heat, ghee in a pan. Add mutton and fry on high for 3-4 minutes or until seared well.
03. Take the seared mutton out on a plate and reserve.
04. Now in same pan, add ginger garlic paste and fry for minutes.
05. Then add ground spice paste, red chili powder and coriander powder and saute on high for a minute.
06. Add whisked yogurt and stir until mixed.
07. Cook on high for a minute.
08. Then add seared mutton and salt, mix well.
09. Add ½ cup of water and mix. Cover and cook until mutton is tender. Add more water and stir in between if required.
10. Then add saffron milk, mace powder and grated nutmeg, mix well. Cook for another minute.
11. Awadhi Mutton Korma is ready to serve. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with taftaan.