Oven time 50-55 min
If you love naans, here is a quick and easy way to make delicious, restaurant-style kasuri naans at home. This recipe is additionally flavoured with Kasuri methi and ajwain (caraway seeds) for warmth and flavour. For a healthy version, you can substitute the Fine White or Self Raising flour with Wholemeal or Brown Atta.
- 1&1/2 cups, Elephant Atta Fine White or Self-Raising (Substitute with Medium or Wholemeal atta for a healthier option with more fibre)
- 1/4 cup, yogurt, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon, sugar
- 1 teaspoon, instant yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon, ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1&1/2 teaspoon, kasuri methi, lightly roasted and coarsely crushed
- ½ cup, warm water ( you may need some more while kneading)
- 2 tablespoons, oil
- A mix of sesame seeds and nigella seeds(kalonji) for sprinkling (I have used Black sesame seeds also)
- Ghee or butter to top while serving
We'd love your feedback
01 In a large bowl, warm water, sugar and yeast. Cover and keep in warm place for 10 minutes allowing it to rise.
02 Now, add flour, yoghurt, kasuri methi, salt, ajwain, oil into a yeast bowl and mix well. Start kneading the dough. Add some more warm water if needed.
03 Knead the dough for good 4-5 minutes till it’s soft and smooth.
04 Cover the dough with damp cotton and keep it in a warm for place for at least an hour
05 Heat the griddle and divide the dough into equal parts depending upon the size of the naan you prefer to make.
06 Take one ball, sprinkle the mix of sesame seeds on the ball. Grease the platform well and start pressing the ball with your fingers to make it in an oval shape or any shape you prefer. The thickness of the naan should be around 6-7 mm. You may use the rolling pin to roll the naan.
07 Carefully flip the naan and brush it with water.
08 Now, place the naan on the hot griddle with the watered side on the griddle. This ensures that naan sticks well on the griddle
09 Cover the naan with a lid and let it cook for 1/2 a minute
10 Take off the lid and turn the griddle upside down such that the top side of the naan is on direct flame. Allow it to get a charred appearance which will also help the naan to get cooked well. Take it off the griddle.
11 Dress it with ghee or blob of butter and serve hot with any curry of your choice.