Chicken Tikka Masala
Oven time 50-55 min
A recipe for the nation’s favourite curry, from the nation’s favourite Atta. There are many stories around the origin of this dish, from the Punjab to Glasgow. The truth is probably in between, a marriage of grilled marinated chicken with a creamy rich tomato curry, that has roots in both India and the UK. Try our recipe with Tandoori roti or Naans
- 3 tablespoons low-fat natural yogurt
- 6-8 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated root ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chilli paste or 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 450 g diced skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fenugreek leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1½ teaspoons cumin-coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons half-fat crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
We'd love your feedback
01 Mix the yogurt, garlic, ginger, black pepper and chilli paste or powder and spoon over the chicken, cover and allow to marinate for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
02 Heat the oil in a large pan on a medium heat and add the cumin seeds. Once they begin to splutter. add the chopped onion and cook on a medium heat until brown.
03 Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the pan. Cook on a high heat for about 5 minutes until the chicken turns white on the outside.
04 Stir in the fenugreek, tomato purée, garam masala and cumin-coriander powder.
05 Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the crème fraîche and coriander leaves before serving.