Light and Fluffy Chakki Gold Chapattis
- 250g Chakki Gold flour Additional chapatti flour for dusting
- 1 jug of warm water
- 2 tbsp of live natural yoghurt (optional)
We'd love your feedback
Oven time 50-55 min
Elephant Chakki Gold is finely milled, stone-ground wholegrain flour, packed with fibre and all the goodness of the vitamins and minerals from the entire wheat kernel.
Whole-wheat flour absorbs more water than white flour, which means that more kneading is required to form enough gluten in and have a soft and consistent dough.
If you are following a healthy lifestyle, here are a few simple steps to make the perfect whole-wheat chapattis using Chakki Gold.
1. Pour flour in a large bowl with a well in the centre and add a small amount of the water and work the dough gently, until you get a crumbly breadcrumb texture.
Optional: Add the yoghurt and mix the flour thoroughly until you have a moist and pliable dough mass that does not stick to your hands.
2. Knead the well using small, tight folds for 10 minutes until the mixture is smooth, firm and elastic. If the dough is too hard it will make not make soft chapattis.
3. Form the dough into a compact ball. Wrap in cling film and set aside for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. Make individual balls the size of golf balls.
5. Flatten the individual balls into a circular shape with your hand and dip both sides into the flour container.
6. Scatter a little flour onto a rolling surface and using a rolling pin, roll the dough outwards into a circular shape about 1/8″ thick, turning it over as required.
7. Heat a griddle/tawa on a high heat for a couple of minutes and then turn down to a medium heat. A dry non-stick frying pan can also be used.
8. Place the rolled chapatti on the griddle and allow cooking for about 30 seconds. Turn and cook the second side for a minute until small brown bubbles form. Turn over once again and lightly press with a clean tea towel or place onto the flame until the chapatti fills with air.
9. Remove the delicious fresh chapatti from the griddle and brush with butter/olive oil if desired.