Missi Roti Aur Saag
Oven time 50-55 min
Here is a deliciously green and healthy Sarson ka Saag recipe. It is a typical North Indian dish served with Missi Roti, it combines the goodness of the whole-wheat Elephant Atta and chickpea flour. Enjoy it with curd or a bit of butter.
Ingredients For Missi Roti
- 150g whole-wheat atta (Elephant Atta)
- 200g besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curd
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- A pinch of heeng (asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead the dough, as needed (approx ¾ cup)
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Ghee for frying the Missi roti
- Butter for serving
Ingredients For Saag:
- 200g sarson (mustard greens)
- 75g spinach greens (palak)
- 50g radish leaves (greens)
- 3-4 green chillies, roughly chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8-9 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch of raw ginger root, grated
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 whole dried red chilies
- 2 tbsp makki atta (maize flour)
- Pinch of Heeng
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter (some extra for garnish)
- 2 tbsp ghee
We'd love your feedback
Method Missi Roti:
01 In a large bowl mix the atta, besan and heeng.
02 Add onions, green chilies, turmeric powder, chili powder, carom seeds, coriander leaves curd, salt to taste, than add one tablespoon of oil and mix it well.
03 Gradually add water and knead it into soft dough. Do not add to much water at a time. If dough is too tight, you may add very little water and mix. If the dough is too soft or tin, you can add more flour and besan.
04 Grease the dough with some more oil, cover it up and keep and rest for 30 minutes.
05 After 30 minutes, divide the dough into equal sized balls.
06 Heat the griddle. Take one ball and cover the rest.
07 Dust the dough ball with some flour and roll it into a disc of 6 inches with the thickness of around 4-5 mm each.
08 Gently, lift the missi roti and place it on the hot griddle. Cook for few seconds until brown the spots start to appear. Flip it and cook the other side as well.
09 Apply some ghee and shallow fry the roti well from both the sides. Take the missi roti off the heat. Repeat the same for all the balls.
10Serve the missi roti with saag and a bit of butter.
Method For Saag:
01 In a pan, add all the greens, green chilies, onions and 4 cloves of garlic. Add ½ cup of water and cook the greens until soft. If you prefer you can use pressure cooker.
02 When your greens are cooked, leave to cool for few minutes, and then blend it to a puree.
03 In a kadhai melt, the ghee and butter. Add cumin, the rest of garlic, and the whole dried red chillies. Fry for 30 seconds, then, add heeng and onions, sauté for a minute. Add grated ginger and cook it for another minute.
04 Then, add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft and water is dried up.
05 Add turmeric and stir it well. Cook for another 30 seconds, add pureed saag and mix it well. Cook for another minute. Add maize flour and combine, making sure it doesn’t clump up. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
06 Top it with a small knob of butter and serve it hot with delicious Missi Roti.