Mutton Rogan Josh with Khamiri Roti
Oven time 50-55 min
Rogan Josh is a fiery red royal treat from Persia, brought to India by Mughals. Rogan means ‘clarified ghee (fat)’ and Josh means ‘stew’. This luscious rich curry of Lamb(goat) makes an impeccable treat for this auspicious occasion on Eid. Serve this delicious Rogan Josh with Khamiri Roti to your family and friends, an ultimate royal treat.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cook time 1 hour
Ingredients for Rogan Josh
- 500g, mutton on bone (with some fat ), cut in medium pieces.
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp, cashew nut paste
- 1 tbsp, ginger garlic paste
- 250g yogurt, whisked well
- 1 green chilly, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp, kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp, turmeric powder
- 1 tsp, ginger powder
- 1 tsp, fennel powder
- ½ tsp, Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsp, oil/ghee
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 big cardamom
- 5-6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
Ingredients for khamiri roti
- 200g, whole wheat flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp (5 grams) yeast
- warm water to knead the dough.
We'd love your feedback
Method For Rogan Josh
01. In a large handi, heat oil. Add whole spices and fry for few seconds.
02. Add sliced onions and fry until golden brown. Add mutton pieces and fry on high for 4-5 minutes.
03. Add ginger garlic paste, green chillies chopped, salt and fry again on high for 2-3 minutes.
04. Add ginger powder turmeric, cashew paste and mix.
05. Add 1/2 cup of water allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
06. In a bowl, add yoghurt, red chilli powder, fennel powder and mix well.
07. Increase the heat to high, add yogurt mixture and mix it stirring continuosly until blended with masala
08. Add another ½ cup of water as per the desired consistency, cover and simmer until done. However Rogan josh is thin gravy.
09. Lastly add garam masala powder and mix. Cook for another minute.
10. Rogan josh is ready to be served.
Method For Khamiri Roti
01. To make khamiri roti, add flour and salt in a large bowl, mix
02. Add yeast and mix
03. Gradually add warm water and mix to knead the dough. The dough should be soft and smooth
04. Cover the dough with damp cloth and allow it to rest for 45 minutes.
05. After 45 minutes, divide the dough into 8 balls.
06. Take one ball and cover the rest. Lightly flour the ball and roll into dice of 7 inches.
07. Gently place it on greased tray and bake it for 7-8 minutes in pre heated over at 190 degress.
08. Alternatively, cook it on hot griddle on stove top and puff it on open flame until done. Here Khamiri roti was done on stove top