Spicy Chaat with sweet watermelon, feta and mint in a baked papdi basket
Oven time 50-55 min
The combination of sweet watermelon and salty feta is incredible. This light, fresh chaat is the perfect way to combine those amazing flavours with some classic tangy Indian chutneys. All served in a simple papdi basket makes this a fun and delicious salad.
Ingredients For Papdi:
- 250g atta
- salt pinch
- 1 tsp ajwain
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil or ghee
- 1/4 cup water
Ingredients For Chaat
- ½ watermelon, chopped into small dices, remove as many of the pips as you can
- 150g feta cheese, diced
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 or 2 green chillies, chopped
- Handful of fresh mint, sliced
- pinch od fresh coriander, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp imlee and date chutney
- 2-3 tbsp green chutney
- sprinkle of puffed rice and sev mix
We'd love your feedback
Method For Papdi
01. Make the dough and let it rest for 15 mins. Knead a little more to soften.
02. Heat oven 200°c
03. Take a ball and roll out to make a roti about 2-3mm thickness.
04. With a fork make holes all over the surface of the rolled out roti
05. Place a round glass bowl upside down on a baking sheet.
06. Oil over the top and sides of the bowl and lay the roti on top. Arrange the sides so it folds to make a basket.
07. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, just until it turns golden.
08. Remove from the oven and leave to cool them remove the basket from the bowl.
Method For Chaat
01. Make the imlee and date chutney
02. Make the mint chutney
03. Mix the watermelon and feta in a bowl with the toasted cumin, chaat, chillies, mint and coriander. Stir and taste to check the seasoning. Adjust if required.
04. Place into the papdi basket and top with a little of the chutneys and sprinkle over the rice and sev mix. Serve straight away.