Aubergine and Potatoes in Tomato Sauce (Aloo Baingan Curry)
Oven time 50-55 min
This is a hot, sweet and sour curry from Gujarat, packed full of flavour. It makes a great meat-free main course or a side dish, and is traditionally eaten with light and fluffy phulkas, or soft chapattis. It also goes well with pooris. Perfect for vegetarians and vegans.
- 2 medium dried red chillies
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of brown of black mustard seeds
- 3 teaspoons of rapeseed oil
- 1 thickly sliced onion
- ½ teaspoon of tumeric powder
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 300g of cubed potatoes
- 300g of aubergine but into cubes
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon of tamarind concentrate
We'd love your feedback
01 Grind the chillies, coriander, cumin and mustard seeds into a powder.
02 Heat the oil in a large pan on a medium heat and add the onion, tumeric and bayleaves. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is soft
03 Add the potatoes and fry for 1 minute. Cover and cook for 7 minutes on a low to medium heat until potatoes are tender. Add the aubergine and garlic and fry for a minute then add the tomato and fry for another minute. Cover and cook for 6 minutes.
04 Stir in the ground spices and tamarind concentrate
05 Add 400 ml of boiling water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring half way.